Not sure what subjects to select or what career to pursue? Very often our youth is confused about their future career plans and end up doing what their forefathers have done. Just because your father is a doctor, you do not have to be one or if your mother ended up doing a simple bachelors and got married does not mean you as her daughter should do the same. There is no harm in following your parent’s footsteps but if you have some dreams and aspirations about your future, follow them!
Here are a few tips to decide which career path to follow if you are not too sure:
- Take a break from your studies. This will give you ample time to research different options and decide which avenue is best for you. Talk to graduates, friends, relatives and visit colleges and universities to find out what is being offered.
- Check online courses or enroll in some evening classes to get an idea about courses of your choice. If you are interested in graphic designing take some short course and see how you find it. This way you will be more aware of the course and more ready to decide if you wish to pursue a degree in this subject.
- Most well-reputed universities hold fairs and open houses frequently. Visit these to find out more about courses, flexible options, scholarships, career choices etc.
Your choice of subjects at the bachelors level will be the determining factor of your future career. So be very careful and take your time in deciding the right subjects. Here are a few things you can consider when deciding what you want to become or end up doing:
- What do you value?
- What are your strengths?
- What is your personality type?
- What do you enjoy doing?
- What do you want to be known for?
- People who have really inspired you, what career choices did they make?
For example, if a person enjoys designing beautiful spaces and wants to be known for his/her designing then he/she should go into interior designing or architecture.
You can explore the career framework called the RIASEC. It suggests career paths based on the person’s personality:
In our society, one important aspect that people consider while selecting a career is the amount of money they will make. This is a very wrong way of selecting your career. You should look for a field that makes you happy and that you enjoy doing. Definitely, if you can make money out of such a field that would be great! But money should not be the only reason for doing a job. What’s the point of doing something that pays well but which does not give you self-satisfaction?
Thus conduct a thorough research and talk to people who have recently graduated and have started working, check Linkedin profiles of people with similar interests and subjects to see where they have landed, visit universities and then make your decision.
All the best!